Surprise! It really is me. I’m still around, trudging along, and doing the best I can like almost everyone else.
So where have I been since December of 2015 (wow it really has been a long time) you might ask?
End of December…I ordered almost all of the Christmas gifts and it was go wonderful not to have to run my butt of searching for a gift. Well the short story is all of my kids were home for Christmas and everyone actually got along and everything went well.
- January…I was overly ambitious and thought I’d start every known journaling, photography, and scrapbooking project around…that lasted about a month. We finally got a decent snow which immobilized us for a couple days; unfortunately it was over a weekend so it really didn’t affect us that much. Austin and I found a stray one evening in our alley. We believe she was a pit and she was the sweetest dog ever. We were able to find her original owner and I have to admit I was a bit sad when they actually showed up to claim her.
- February…my unemployment ran out so needless to say I was not happy and still unemployed. Austin worked a ton of overtime which helped a lot. We were also finally able to have the last of our Christmas at Sis’. She was in the hospital over the Christmas holiday so we waited until she was up for it. I’m still not convinced she was ready for the day…Joshua Ryan also had a bout with Bell’s palsy. Thankfully it wasn’t too severe and it was over relatively quickly. Mary was also baptized.
- March…Sarah Emily turned 16?! When on Earth did that happen? Neither of us really knew how we wanted to celebrate but she was able to play hooky from school and we ended up at a mall an hour or so away. Possibly the best thing about March was my Dad agreeing to let Austin and I move to “the holler.” I was surprised, shocked, and grateful all at the same time. I also began pen palling again which I haven’t done in years. I went on a few hikes and had the company of Joshua and Lucy once. I was pleasantly surprised at how well she did.
- April…The “girl’s gift” from Gran and Pop at Christmas was tickets to a Luke Bryan concert and the 7th was the big night. We got there way too early, had no idea was to eat for dinner, and I think Sarah Emily sang every song he did. Papaw passed on the 17th and while it was expected it still is hard to realize he’s not here sitting on the front porch or up at the barn feeding.
May…We finally got moved and it felt surreal to be here. I felt out of place, as if I was intruding on my grandparent’s space. I have wanted to be here almost my entire life and it still feels odd in a way. Mary had her 6th grade band concert which was also her first band concert ever. Sarah had a minor part in her band concert and I was allowed to skip which was good because they ended up taking her part out entirely.
- June…to say June was eventful is an understatement in the least. I took a pregnancy test on the 8th and sure enough that sucker was positive. I was floored. I tried my darnedest to wait until Father’s Day to tell Austin but it was a lost cause. I’d been in such a mood trying not to tell him I felt I’d better explain myself. I found the smallest pair of infant cargo shorts I could (just like Daddy’s) and a children’s book as my way of saying, “Guess what?!” To say he was floored as well would be an understatement. On the 22nd I had my first appointment and Austin went along. We found out our due date is February 7th, 2017 and were able to see the baby’s heartbeat on the ultrasound. I so wish I would have thought to film Austin watching the ultrasound on the screen. His mouth dropped, he smiled, mouth dropped again, and then smiled ear to ear as he said, “I made that.” Dad also bought me the camera (Canon T6i) I have been saving up for for months. I am a tad bit intimidated by it and have no idea what I’m doing.
- July…this year was the first time I’ve missed taking pictures of fireworks in about 4 or 5 years. Austin’s uncle passed away and bless him he did not handle it well. Tyler was home on leave for a few days and we were finally able to tell the kids at once we were expecting. Mary jumped up and latched on to me so hard I thought she was going to squeeze me to death. Before Tyler left to go back to base all the guys went to play airsoft and I went along for the heck of it. It was nice to get out of the house and for all of them to do something together. My Dad had a “bad day” (to say the least) and I think we’re all still trying to figure that one out. Band camp started and Mary was asked to join because she’d been tagging along with Sarah to some of the practices. She gets to march and whole year early and as of now is the youngest member on the marching band.
So here I sit at the beginning of August not knowing what to make of myself, recent events, and still applying for jobs. All the time realizing how much time I’ve wasted not doing all the things I’ve dreamed and wondering if they will ever come to be. On the flipside I’m excited to be beginning a new chapter having Baby Bowen on the way and a chance to have a lot of do-overs. So with any luck I can keep myself occupied by keeping ya’ll updated a bit more often.